Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Every dollar counts...

A Sincere letter to my blogger followers:

I was watching the news today, knowing full well that an earthquake hit Haiti yesterday. However, I did not see the damage in photos and videos until today. It broke my heart. It's not like this is the first time I've seen a natural disaster -- we all can remember hurricane Katrina, the tsunami that hit Thailand, the recent typhoons in the Philippines -- but to see how much damage was done to the whole country and not just a small region broke my heart. I couldn't believe that after a 7.0 magnitude quake, 15 aftershocks broke loose that were approx 5.0 in magnitude! All this, happening to a population who rely on US $1 a day to live.

It made me sick to my stomach that while I was warm, sitting comfortably in my home, that in one part of my world there were hundreds and thousands of people, just like me who are trapped, dead and missing. You and I both know that crying, after all is said and done, won't really help anyone . This whole week, I've been saving up money to buy the new MAC lillyland blushes, and I realized -- do I really need that? I'm not trying to run all of you into a guilt trip, but my point is, while we, as a country unaffected by something this tragic at the moment, spend our money for things we're lemming for, there's a whole population of people like you starving, lost and homeless. The money I've saved up will be going to the Red Cross. All of it.

If you believe in the power of prayer, please pray for those in Haiti -- they need it.


Sincerely,

Maria

8 comments:

anne said...

if theres a "like" button on this post, i would hit it :)

easy ways of donating:
- if you live in the u.s., text YELE to 510510 (it will automatically donate $5 to the relief fund)

- for intl residents: theres always the american red cross website (http://bit.ly/4W7NGI)

<3

freshelle said...

great post! i was also very very shocked when i saw the pictures. definitely every dollar counts and i'll be donating my weekly fund for really unnecessary things (makeup, magazines, new clothes) to red cross.

AskMeWhats said...

it's all over the news down here too!!! I feel soooo sad, and true, every dollar counts! :) let's all help in our small li'l ways!

Halifax @ Sparkled Beauty said...

Very sweet and generous of you

Macbella2 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Macbella2 said...

sorry deleted other post for spelling mistakes lol

...and that's why you are a gem my dear ;) I'm giving two thumbs up to your post sweetie!
Another way to help is by donating clothes to the red cross. Go through your clothes and choose weather appropriate pieces that you can do without, bag it up and send it to the red cross. Every gesture will help.

A man from here (Quebec) who's 5 children were over there booked a flight to go search for them. His flight got cancelled. He went to the news in despair. The news crew had one more spot on their crew's plane so they took that man with them...yesterday he found them...all alive. 2 were together, one was up on a mountain where he had escaped and the other 2 were in the South somewhere together. It's the little things that make a difference...

I am terrified to see what kind of impact this disaster will have on the health of the people of Haiti. AIDS mostly...all this blood shed will make the disease spread (no way they can control transmission of the virus in these conditions).

I am sure you've all seen the news about CNN's Chief medical correspondent Gupta and his crew pulling and all-nighter to care for victims after the medical team was pulled from the site for security reasons. Gupta and his team were able to maintain all patients alive through the night. Even taking on 3 more victims. They didn't leave, they stayed because they could not just walk away and let all these people die. This post is dedicated to all of these people who, by their actions, make a difference.

Anonymous said...

That's very generous of you, I donated my HBC points when I was buying something at the Bay.

Thanks for letting me know about Cargo at Scarb town! They are clearing out fast! I rechecked the Seattle location today and things are disappearing too.

the teacher said...

the same thing went through me head... to sacrifice our shallow wants and spend it on ppl who dont have the basic necessities of life~ forget that new lipgloss and give it to a good cause!

 
Blogger Templates by Wishafriend.com